There are many “known” celebrities who are struggling with addiction or are currently in recovery. But did you know that these celebs were sober? Let’s take a closer look into 5 celebrities in recovery that you may of not been aware of.
5 Celebrities in Recovery
- Rob Lowe. Rob Lowe was a known party boy in the 80s, but he’s been sober for 25 years. Per People Magazine Rob stated that his wife Cheryl and his children are his supporters through his journey and for staying in recovery. He has encountered a lot. Being in recovery, he has found peace with himself. He has also found a relationship with God and furthered his family life and his well-established career.
- Demi Lovato. The twenty-four-year-old singer and actress once admitted she couldn’t go a half hour without cocaine. Now she’s a spokesperson for mental health and addiction. Demi is also open about overcoming bulimia. Something that many young teenage girls suffer with today. In a Cosmopolitan article Demi admits that she was suicidal and deeply depressed. At the age of 12 she started to cut herself. At such a young age Demi’s career life was taking off. Her depression and addiction was only getting worse. She now has been sober since 2012 and is an inspiration to many young females. Her fans help motivate her and keep her steered in the right and clean direction.
- Sir Elton John. In a NPR interview, he spoke about how it took it him 16 years to ask for help. He openly admits that his anger and temper would get the best of him. He used to get so angry that he would lash out on stage and ruin thousand dollars’ worth of guitars and equipment on his sets. Sir Elton John also admitted in an interview with G2 that he was also addicted to working. After a serious illness, due to a colon affection he then decided to reevaluate his life. Now in his late sixties he is focusing on his always developing career, husband and two children.
- Daniel Radcliffe. The Harry Potter star admitted to be drunk on set towards the later films in the series. He’s been sober five years now. After Harry Potter ended Daniel started to freak out and realized he must be in the real world. He feared not seeing the same people and cast masts every day. Reality to him was now sleeping alone at a home and turning to alcohol to cope with his loneliness. In an article from Business Insider he admits that it is much easier to stay sober in America than it is in England. He says that everyone has been very supportive of his decision to stay clean and sober.
- Eric Clapton. The rock star attributed sobriety to the birth of his son, Conor. He even maintained sobriety after the tragic death from a 49th floor fall. “A woman came up to me after the meeting and said, ‘You’ve just taken away my last excuse to have a drink.’ I asked her what she meant. She said, ‘I’ve always had this little corner of my mind which held the excuse that, if anything were to happen to my kids, then I’d be justified in getting drunk. You’ve shown me that’s not true.’ I was suddenly aware that maybe I had found a way to turn this dreadful tragedy into something positive. I was in the position to say, ‘Well, if I can go through this and stay sober, then anyone can.’ There was no better way to honor the memory of my son.” “Clapton: The Autobiography,” 2007Resources :http://people.com/celebrity/rob-lowe-on-being-sober-and-an-alcoholic/http://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/news/a60571/demi-lovato-overcoming-addiction-bulimia/https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/15/elton-john-drugs-monstrous-sidehttp://www.businessinsider.com/daniel-radcliffe-drinking-problem-2015-11
By: Erica T.